Leads San Diego facilities operations which includes central utility plant operations, building repair and maintenance, engineering, projects, validation and compliance, and other functions that may vary by site in a multiple location campus with business units that includes R&D, Manufacturing, diagnostics, cGMP, medical device and regulated facility needs.
This role is also responsible for supporting the quality operations related to the facility engineering, maintenance and compliance activities on the campus acting as the primary point of contact for all Facilities corrective and preventative action, non-conformance and audit activities and responses.
Principal responsibilities include direct management of facilities operations and engineering staff and functions, infrastructure planning, preventative maintenance, central plant utilities, fire life safety systems, and site capital and expense budget performance, including identification and execution of operating efficiencies and cost savings strategies for utilities, sustainability, and LEED. This position reports to the Director, Global Facilities Operations and Services.
* Oversee facilities site operations and engineering of a multiple campuses of 1m sf with over 120k sf of regulated, controlled areas at the Headquarters location.
* Oversee facilities change control responsibilities and maintain validated state for operations. Ensure GLP/GMP compliance and maintain controlled space and environmental systems where applicable.
* Foster strong working relationships and partnership with site leaders and area owners of manufacturing, supply chain, quality, diagnostics and all regulated site operations.
* Key contributor to planning and design of facility expansion and renovation.
* Direct the installation, relocation, removal and repair of facility related equipment.
* Assist in the development and management of annual capital and operating site plans.
* Partner and support the execution of facility-related capital projects in concert with Facilities project management and capital planning
* Partner and support local security initiatives as directed by the Global Security.
* Interface with corporate security leadership and coordinate delivery of company-wide security initiatives.
* Contract with and direct all external contractor services. Ensure conformance to building standards and specifications, including project costs and construction schedules.
* Develop, control and implement facility infrastructure capital and operating expense plans, including facility utility schedules in coordination with corporate sustainability, Engineering, Compliance and Validation group. Accountable for facility expense performance at local level.
* Responsible for sound operation and maintenance of facility CUP, CSU, RTO, BMS/EMS RODI, MEP systems inclusive of implementation and continued operation of validated computerized maintenance management work order system.
* Support the implementation of global programs which ensure compliance with applicable regulations and internal policies as defined by Global Facilities, Real Estate and EHS.
* Partner and collaborate with regional peers and counterparts in Facilities, Real Estate and EHS across all sites. Closely work with IT, HR, Finance and Procurement business partners.
* Ensure facility compliance with all applicable local, county or country based facility and environmental, health and safety regulations or industry standards.
* Ensure adequate on-call coverage for weekend/after-hours emergencies especially for multiple shift operations.
* Direct the planning, response and recovery operations for emergency situations and disaster recovery and coordinate the development and implementation of associated response plans. Serve as a site incident commander during unplanned events and emergencies.
* Build and manage a staff which works in a highly collaborative, team environment, cross-functional and results-oriented fashion. Provide effective coaching and mentoring staff for their professional growth and development.
* All listed tasks and responsibilities are deemed as essential functions to this position; however, business conditions may require reasonable accommodations for additional tasks and responsibilities.
Preferred Experiential Background:
* 10+ years of experience in (combined) facilities management and operations, administration, purchasing, contracting, project and construction management.
* Minimum 8+ years previous management and leadership experience. Experience leading multiple facility functions. Life science, clinical, biotech or pharma experience strongly preferred. Proven experience and demonstrate strong people skills with the ability to grow, motivate and inspire team to reach their full potential. Ability to make sound decisions.
* Prior industry experience inclusive of large scale capital projects and facility management of cleanrooms, cold storage, regenerative thermal oxidizer and controlled environments including GLP/GMP facilities.
* Experience with design, build, and maintenance of ISO classified clean rooms
* Experience with Lean Manufacturing, Six-Sigma or other continuous improvement methodologies
* Knowledge and application of environmental, health and safety regulations and familiarity with EHS regulatory agencies’ protocols.
* Previous experience with CMMS, IWMS, or enterprise work order management systems preferred. Also, must be computer proficient using Microsoft Office, SAP and other enterprise applications.
* Business and financial acumen. Ability to write, communicate and develop presentations at all levels of the organization.
* Minimum Bachelor’s degree in Engineering related discipline (4+years) or Master’s degree in Engineering (2+years). M.S./M.B.A. preferred.
* PE/engineering license, MBIFM, CMIOSH, CPE or CEM certificate a plus. PMP or project management experience a plus.
Illumina believes that everyone has the ability to make an impact, and we are proud to be an equal opportunity employer committed to providing employment opportunity regardless of sex, race, creed, color, gender, religion, marital status, domestic partner status, age, national origin or ancestry, physical or mental disability, medical condition, sexual orientation, pregnancy, military or veteran status, citizenship status, and genetic information. If you have a disability or special need that requires accommodation, please contact us at …… . To learn more, visit: https://www.dol.gov/ofccp/regs/compliance/posters/pdf/eeopost.pdf